In January 2011, I launched a weekly post called Platform Five over on the Paratus Communications blog.
The aim was to keep an eye out for new social media tools and platforms and highlight a handful each week.
Going into the last month of 2011, I thought’d I’d feature 50 of the more useful tools, before narrowing them down to the top 20.
So, here is the ‘nominations’ edition and then keep your eyes peeled for the top 20 which will be revealed over the next few weeks over at ParatusCommunications.com.
The top 50 social media tools of the year
Content curation / management tools
1. Bo.lt – content sharing on steroids.
2. Trap.it – personalised content discovery engine.
3. Hearsay.it – helps you share the most relevant stuff in your stream(s).
4. Pistash.io – save and organise your online life.
5. knowaboutit.com – another tool to help you identify relevant content from your stream(s).
6. BufferApp.com – allows you to find and share content without crossing the ‘over-share’ line.
Social media analytics / measurement
7. Sociagility.com – the industry’s most robust social media performance system / process.
8. PeopleBrowsr / Kred – 1000 days of Twitter data for you to enjoy.
9. PageLever.com – the best Facebook page performance tool going around.
10. CircleCount.com – find out how many Google+ circles you’re in.
11. TwentyFeet.com – aggregates all of your social media performance data.
12. SimplyMeasured.com – as the name suggests, a simple way to measure your social media performance.
13. Conversocial.com – a great option for social CRM.
14. SocialBakers.com – social media statistic heaven.
Content exchange tools / platforms
15. Branfeed.eu – a place where brands and journalists meet.
16. ThisMoment.com – content distribution and engagement software.
17. MyNewsDesk.com – content exchange portal and online newsroom solution.
18. Jux.com – helps create new ways to feature your online content.
19. PRfilter.com – an opt-in news gathering service for journalists.
20. AnswerBase.com – your own Q&A community.
21. Zooshia.com – create your own social widgets for your site / blog.
Bookmarking and organisational tools
22. GetSpool.com – online and offline bookmarking system.
23. geeje.com – content discovery dashboard.
24. Wunderlist – task management with a social twist.
25. EverytimeHQ.com – in-domain note taking and sharing.
26. Pokki.com – helps you create your own apps for your desktop.
27. beta.strawberryj.am – scans links from the ones shared by your friends on Twitter and highlights the most popular ones.
31. FBsearch.us – one of the best ways to search for Facebook groups, events and photos.
Search / SEO / domain tools
32. SkyGlue.com – Google analytics on steroids.
33. Wajam.com – personalised search engine results from your friends.
34. NameNinja.com – domain name brainstorming tool.
35. Panabee.com – domain name checker and inspiration provider.
36. SocialSearching.info – twitter and Facebook searching at your fingertips.
User experience / website analysis tools
37. bagelHint.com – enables users to feedback on your site design / functionality.
38. UnderTheSite.com – discover who owns any site on the web.
39. SiteTrail.com – an easy way to track the performance of competitor websites.
40. Lubith.com – create your own WordPress themes / templates.
Online video tools
Online photo tools
44. Merchii.com – linking bloggers, consumers and online merchants together by tagging photos.
Contact management tools / dashboards
Influencer identification tools
47. Appinions.com – influencer exchange insights.
48. BlogDash.com – a dashboard for blogger outreach.
49. PeerIndex.net – ranks individual users by social media performance/
50. GroupHigh.com – blogger outreach intelligence.
Remember, keep your eyes peeled for the announcement of the top 20 of the year during December!
And, if you liked this post, share it with your pals via Twitter, Facebook and Google+.